The BEST Banana Cream Pie
This banana cream pie will leave you dreaming for days of its’ goodness! It’s silk smooth and light while reaming dense and custardy. There is a secret step with the eggs that creates this dreamy consistency. This is a tried and true recipe passed down from Jordan’s grandmother Rhea. Trust me, this pie is called dreamy for a reason!
Banana Cream Pie is an old-fashioned pie. A tender and flaky pie crust is filled with layers of bananas and a rich creamy custard. It’s all topped off with mounds of freshly whipped cream. When it comes to dessert, you can’t go wrong by serving this luscious homemade pie.
A Little Secret…
There is a secret to the creamy custard that sets it apart from any other. The egg whites are whipped until stiff peaks and then added to the hot milk and egg custard mixture. This added step makes the custard fluffy soft and light like nothing you’ve ever tasted! Try it and see, it’s truly irresistible
I have two tried and true crust recipes to choose from. One is vegan and the other is the opposite, with loads of butter! Read each post to find out which one you prefer and match that with this banana cream pie! You can’t go wrong with either so pick your favorite, or try both, and see for yourself.
Made with Amore,
Next level silky soft and delicious custard pie! Once you try this recipe it will be hard to go back to any other.Print
The BEST Banana Cream Pie. This banana cream pie will leave you dreaming for days of its’ goodness! It’s silk smooth and light while reaming dense and custardy. There is a secret step with the eggs that creates this dreamy consistency. This is a tried and true recipe passed down from Jordan’s grandmother Rhea. Trust me, this pie is called dreamy for a reason!
Prepare ONE recipe of either crust. Follow the blind bake instructions in the recipe.
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 6 Tbs flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 C whole milk
- 2 egg yolks beaten (save egg whites in a clean bowl (also 3 Tbs sugar))
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs butter
- 3 ripe bananas (sliced)
- 1 pint heavy whipped cream (whipped and sweetened as desired) for topping
- Mix first three ingredients (sugar, flour, and salt) in a bowl with a whisk.
- Add milk to a medium sauce pan and turn on medium heat.
- Immediately add the sugar flour mixture and stir until thick- about, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks and keep stirring another few minutes.
- Last, add the butter and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and 4 Tbs sugar until stiff peaks (but not meringue).
- Fold egg whites into hot custard mixture
- Place sliced bananas on the bottom of prepared pie crust. Add custard on top (completely covering the bananas and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours and covered 2 days (crust won’t be as fresh after 2 days)
- Before serving add mounds of freshly whipped cream to pie and serve!