The BEST Banana Cream Pie. This banana cream pie will leave you dreaming for days of its’ goodness! It’s silk smooth and light while reaming dense and custardy. There is a secret step with the eggs that creates this dreamy consistency. This is a tried and true recipe passed down from Jordan’s grandmother Rhea. Trust me, this pie is called dreamy for a reason!
Prepare ONE recipe of either crust. Follow the blind bake instructions in the recipe.
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 6 Tbs flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 C whole milk
- 2 egg yolks beaten (save egg whites in a clean bowl (also 3 Tbs sugar))
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs butter
- 3 ripe bananas (sliced)
- 1 pint heavy whipped cream (whipped and sweetened as desired) for topping
- Mix first three ingredients (sugar, flour, and salt) in a bowl with a whisk.
- Add milk to a medium sauce pan and turn on medium heat.
- Immediately add the sugar flour mixture and stir until thick- about, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks and keep stirring another few minutes.
- Last, add the butter and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and 4 Tbs sugar until stiff peaks (but not meringue).
- Fold egg whites into hot custard mixture
- Place sliced bananas on the bottom of prepared pie crust. Add custard on top (completely covering the bananas and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours and covered 2 days (crust won’t be as fresh after 2 days)
- Before serving add mounds of freshly whipped cream to pie and serve!