The name for this blueberry galette came from my 4 year old son, Luca- “mama, this tastes bomb!”. That’s when my mama heart soars! Especially, since he is the child that loves to call all food any potty word you can imagine. Even if he LIKES what’s he’s eating there is something about brining up gross images while eating food, that I worked hard to prepare, that satisfies him. I’ll never understand. If I were naming this galette I find the names ‘elegant blueberry galette’, ‘rustic blueberry galette’, or ‘summer blueberry galette’ more appealing, but that doesn’t elicit the same memory for me. I think of Luca’s voice shouting ‘this tastes bomb’ every time I make it. I still think this galette is elegant and perfect for a spring or summer dessert. The blueberries slightly pop in your mouth and remain tender and juicy. The flavor combo of the flaky salty crust, sweet tangy blueberry, and cold creamy ice cream is something I indeed call, BOMB!, maybe Luca is right after all. I hope you enjoy this with friends and family at your table this summer season.
Made with Amore,
Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 40 min Total Time: 60 min Yield:
For Crust Use: Ultimate All-Butter Pie Crust 8
2 cup fresh blueberries (I also like using frozen blueberries especially Wyman’s Wild
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon allspice (you can omit this, but I love the slight nutty flavor it adds)
1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
1 tablespoon butter – pea sized pieces
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Unwrap pie dough from the fridge, roll out on floured surface to make a large circle (about 16-18 inches in diameter)
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper that is on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, add sugar, allspice, and flour and sift together with a fork or whisk. Add in the blueberries and lemon juice and stir to coat.
- Pour blueberry mixture into the center of the pie dough and gentle spread out leaving a 2-3 inch boarder on the edges). Start folding the edges up and over the edge of the filling. Do this around entire galette.
- Dot the top of the galette with the pea-sized butter pieces. When completed, set aside. Crack an egg and beat it with a fork. Brush the edges of the pie crust with the egg wash (this gives it the golden brown color).
- Place in the oven on the center rack and bake for at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes then turn down the temp to 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Remove when the crust is golden brown and the center is bubbly.
- When done, remove from oven. and let the it sit for at least 10 minutes, allowing the sweet fruit juices to thicken slightly.
Enjoy warm with creamy vanilla ice cream!