My first experience with rhubarb was eating this pie, years ago. Ever since I developed a new love and try to sneak it in all sorts of baked goods. It is only available, in most stores, fresh during the summer months. So run! Get some fresh rhubarb, or go to Grandma Sharon’s I know she’ll gladly give you some, and make this pie.
1 recipe of Grandma Rhea’s Pie Crust
4 cups of fresh rhubarb, cut in 1 inch slices
1 2/3 cups of sugar
1/3 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of butter cut in small pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Prepare pie crust and set aside
- Combine the rhubarb, sugar, flour, and salt in a large mixing bowl
- Let sit for 15 minutes
- Fill the pie shell with the rhubarb mixture, dot with a butter pieces
- Place top crust on pie and make slits for proper venting
- seal sides of pie by pinch upper and under layers together with fingers
- Bake pie at 425 F for 15 minutes. Then turn down to 350 F and bake an additional 45 minutes
Serve warm with ice cream!