This is a quick meal that will save you on a busy evening. It’s so simple it also makes a great weekend lunch. Fresh flavors and plenty of creamy sauce to coat the al dente penne pasta.
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (16 oz/ 1 lb.) bag frozen petite peas
- 2 Tablespoons Italian basil, torn by hand
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 8 oz (250 grams) Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 lb (454grams) Barilla Penne Pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated parmigiano cheese
- Bring 6 quarts water to a boil and add 3 Tbs kosher salt
- Heat a large sauté pan to on medium heat. Add olive oil. Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent and slightly brown in color. Add the frozen peas and cook 10 minutes until cooked, but no mushy. Add the mascarpone and and butter then turn heat to low. Stir for 2 minutes until sauce is creamy. Turn off heat and stir in basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pasta to boiling water. Cook until al dente directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water. Drain pasta and add to pan with peas and mascarpone. Stir well to coat pasta. Add pasta water and stir to combine. Cover and let sit 2-3 minutes before serving so sauce can thicken. Serve HOT and add extra parmigiano.
Keywords: pasta, penne pasta, petite peas, mascarpone cheese, onions and peas, easy dinner, 20 minute meal, Italian recipe