A very popular dish meaning ” fruits of the sea “- the ultimate spaghetti Frutti di Mare recipe, made with mussels, squid, and shrimp in a thick red tomato sauce.
- 1 lb mussels cleaned well
- 1 lb wild shrimp peeled
- 1/2 lb squid tentacles
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes + more to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 3/4 lb spaghetti
- 1 batch sugo al pomodoro made in advance
- sea salt to taste
- Crusty bread for serving
- Heat up your largest skillet on medium low flame.
- Add olive oil and garlic. Stir quickly- do not to burn the garlic. Add the mussels and toss with a wooden spoon. Cook for about a minute (or until the clams start to open).
- Add the shrimp to the pan with the mussels and give it a stir. Cover and cook for another minute or so.
- The key is not to overcook the seafood
- Once all the mussels open and the shrimp is almost cooked, add the squid tentacles. Cook another 30 seconds or so until they curl up.
- Taste. Add more sea salt here if needed.
- Warm up the sugo al pomodoro sauce in a saucepan. Pour the sauce over the seafood and toss gently. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions until Al Dente. Drain and reserve 1 cup of the salty pasta water. Add the cooked spaghetti to the pan with the seafood and toss to coat in the sauce. Add a little bit of the reserved pasta water if needed.
- Transfer your seafood spaghetti to a serving platter, drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with the parsley.
- Serve HOT!
Keywords: pasta, italian pasta, seafood pasta, spaghetti pasta, spaghetti sea food pasta recipe